Greek English
Home Page / The Village / History
Print this page
History

Gialia

Designation
The village's name has Greek roots. Probably came from the adjective meaning Aigialia seaside. It is worth mentioning that the village crossed by a namesake river flowing throughout the year.


Hobbies
The inhabitants are mainly agriculture and forestry station and some operations in Polis.
In agriculture is developed mainly produced olives, legumes, citrus, almond few fruit. Recent years the inhabitants are mainly organized cultivate greenhouses.
The village of Gialia stretches along the valley and 2 parallel streets rivers of Yalta. Covered by urban areas and particularly the eastern section located on the outskirts of Paphos forest area was declared exceptional beauty and moral character.

Residents
The population Gialias, especially during the first decades of the 20th century, was many movements. Later, steady population growth. In 1981, residents of 302 arrived after 1940 to 613 in 1973 to 790 (all were Muslims).

After the Turkish Cypriot mutiny in 1961, the village with other villages of Paphos (Pelathousa and Makounta) was a Turkish Cypriot enclave center. In 1975, the Turkish Cypriot inhabitants of Gialias transferred to the occupied part of Cyprus and the village settled displaced from the apartments of Morphou and Kyrenia. In 1976 the population of Gialias was 111 and in 1982 to 92. Currently residents of the village is 202.

Education
Her children attend school Gialias Elementary School Agia Marina, because the village is so small and the number of students is not enough to create school.

 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc
No images, text or other material whatsoever from this website may be copied, published, re-produced or otherwise used without the written permission of NETinfo Services Ltd.